When there is concern or report of sexual abuse, children deserve a medical evaluation performed by a doctor, nurse practitioner or nurse with experience in this area.
This is part of the evaluation:
- Ensures the health and well-being of the child;
- Reassures the child that everything is okay with their body;
- Diagnoses and treats medical conditions that may be related to sexual abuse;
- Documents any possible physical and forensic findings;
- Allows for collection of evidence that may be present on the child's body or clothing;
This medical evaluation is usually not painful or invasive. The evaluation also provides an opportunity for the child and families to be linked to other important services and resources.
In Essex County, doctors, nurses and nurse practitioners with expertise in providing these evaluations are located at NSMC North Shore Children's Hospital and Lawrence General Hospital.